Wednesday, February 6, 2008

On my trip to Walgreens...

So, the other day we got a new toy that required yes, you guessed it - more batteries! Now if you go into my kitchen, I have almost an entire drawer dedicated to a variety of batteries, and don't you know it, we don't have the three AAA batteries necessary to make this thing go! How is this possible? Seriously an entire drawer for batteries and only one AAA battery to be found!

Of course, all morning my son can only think about the batteries that he needs for this toy. As we entire every store on our list of errands, he repeats, "Mom, don't forget, we have to get the batteries." How could I forget? You are here to remind me that that is my mission today!

So after our many errands, we end up in Walgreens to get "the batteries!" Of course I just had to walk down that dreaded Valentine's candy aisle, the only thing that could possibly have averted my son's attention from his mission "the batteries!" But as I looked down the aisle I saw all of the Valentine's knick-knack thingys and found a little candy dish shaped like a heart with ribbon woven through it. It kind of looked like this, but a heart with the ribbon in it...

I remember a dish that my grandmother had in her front "parlor" that was very much like this. We used to play with her Hummels there; can you believe she had them out for us to play with - crazy huh! They were the real deal too, my grandfather brought them back from Germany after the war.

Anyway, I found inspiration in that little dish that day. I couldn't get it out of my head. So, I used it as my inspiration. I created this...

I couldn't get a great picture of this card. I think my camera was having a hard time with the starkness of the white and the contrast of the red. I used the new Papertrey Ink stamp set Out On A Limb. I love, love, love this set! It has the most beautiful sentiments in it, and has endless possibilities.

First I made a heart template out of printer paper so it was easier to fold. The only way I know how to make an even heart is to fold it in half then cut :-) I traced the outline of the heart on the base of the card, then punched the holes just around it.

I used my Making Memories Anywhere hole punch to punch two holes about 3/16" apart, then wove the Martha Stewart seem binding through all the way around the heart. I don't know that I would use a very heavy ribbon to do this it would be too much for that size hole. But the seem binding worked perfectly.

The flowers were stamped randomly, I only used the top portion of the large flower clusters. The black dots are made by touching the paper lightly with a black Sakura Glaze pen two to three times, depending on the size of the flower. I also used an SU! Color Spritzer and a black marker to add a little speckle to it and fill in the white space.

The heart is popped up on dimensionals to make it stand out from the ribbon. IRL it looks very elegant. I just wish my picture turned out better. I tried several times to get a good one, in the end, this was the best I could get. Any picture taking suggestions???

Well, I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for visiting today! Have a fabulous evening!

What I used: Stamps: Papertrey Ink Out On A Limb

Paper: Papertrey Stamper's Select White

Ink: Colorbox Chalk Ink Warm Red, Brilliance Graphite Black

Accessories: Ribbon Martha Stewart Seem Binding Ladybug, Dimensionals, 1/8" hole punch, stamp-a-ma-jig

No comments: