Thursday, October 9, 2008

Happy Birthday GG!

Sorry for the dark picture (if you click on it it looks better), brown on brown is hard to photograph especially with a little cream in it. I really had fun making this card. It was actually quite easy to do, and I loved every minute of it. It was so fun to sit among my crafty stuff if even for just an hour. Now I have some serious organizing to do in there, and well, to be quite honest, I am avoiding it :-P

Until I find the time to clean, this is all I have. I made this card for my grandmother (my kids call her GG for Great Grandmom) for her 84th birthday. She lives in Philadelphia so we don't see her much, but miss her terribly. She is a pretty old-fashioned woman, never drove, never remarried after my grandfather passed when he was very young. She thinks that we each get one great love and the rest is just to pass the time until we find him :-) She had her great love, no need to look for more she says. About as high-tech as she gets is her remote for her TV, so she will not likely ever see this. Nevertheless, we love you GG!

I traced the bird onto the brown CS from some chipboard I have had forever; the chipboard seemed too heavy for this card. I added a little MS glitter around the bird to dress it up a bit, and fashioned it with a flower brad with a little more glitter in the center. The vine is actually a swirly photo corner from Boss Kut. I am loving the new MAMBI paper stack I got at Michaels a few weeks ago, so my colors!

**ASIDE**Speaking of Michaels, I don't know what yours is doing, but my Michaels (yes, it's all mine!) is doing a complete overhaul. Their papercrafts department and stamps have at least quadrupled. I love it! They are now carrying more 12x12 papers by some big names, including Bazzill, Basic Grey and American Crafts. I hadn't been in there for two weeks (a record for me!), so I was super excited when I walked in there last week!

We are off for some family fun this weekend of apple picking, folk music, and lots of great food at the apple festival at Graves Mountain. At least we'll get one day of fun before my husband heads back to work Sunday to start off another six-day week. Sometimes I wish we lived in Europe or somewhere where people actually get to enjoy time off and they can take a holiday without being tied to their Blackberry or computer...ahhhhhhhh... one can dream right?

Since I haven't done a kid's funny story in a while, I wanted to make note of something my son taught me the other day. Do you watch Sesame Street? If not their is a little stint that Bert and Ernie do where they rub their tummies and pat their heads at the same time. Now, I have NEVER been able to do this, I have tried many times (I remember trying this as a kid too!) without success. So, we are eating lunch the other day and my son is doing it without even thinking about it, and I am struggling. I say "I give up!" It's just not something I am meant to do. My son says "You can never just give up mom, you can do anything you put your mind to!" (mom's words now coming back to haunt her :-) So, he teaches me that first you must rub your belly and then add the tapping of your head because if you try them both at the same time you won't be able to do it. Within seconds, WE were patting our heads and rubbing our bellies like nobody's business. Isn't it amazing what your kids can teach you?!

Take a lesson from your kids today, sometimes it is just about the fun, not about the task!

Have a super weekend!
*Hugs*


What I Used:
Stamps: PTI Anniversary set Simple Little Things
Paper: PTI Dark Chocolate, Spring Moss and Vintage Cream, PP is MAMBI
Ink: PTI Spring Moss
Accessories: MS Glitter in Brownstone, Flower brad MM sanded and painted with MM paint in Fir Tree, Cuttlebug, Scallop Circle Nestabilities, Boss Cut Corner Scrollie Leaves, Ribbon is Martha Stewart

3 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

Oh I just love your grandmom! Mr P's grand mom was the same way about her husband. Very romantic. I know she will love your card because you so lovingly made it. I also love your tummy rubbing head tapping story! Glad you learned to do it and so special that your son taught you! I hope ya'll have a grand adventure this weekend!

Keri Lee Sereika said...

This card is just too sweet! I love bird images and this is no exception!

Niki Estes said...

Very pretty, Kacey! I love the colors!